Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Closing the Gap

Nelson Mandela: How do you inspire your team to do their best?
Francois Pienaar
: By example. I've always thought to lead by example, sir.
Nelson Mandela: Well, that is right. That is exactly right. But how do we get them to be better then they think they CAN be? That is very difficult, I find. Inspiration, perhaps. How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do? How do we inspire everyone around us? I sometimes think it is by using the work of others.
Closing the gap
Invictus: defines the roles of strength, both personal and national, and the potency of empowerment in community development. Now, I believe we are quite aware that the film uses sport as a vehicle for community development but it is the first time since the start of this course that I have really begun to see that community development is truly building bridges between two people (poor and rich, black and white, etc….). Now, I apologize in advance for the painful symbolic nature of my blog this week and please bear with me as I geek out in the figurative nature of the cinematic techniques.

One of the most powerful scenes for me is right at the beginniww.ng of the Invictus when we see the two extremely different cultures playing rugby.  On one side, you see the young black South Africans playing on a dirt field with no real rules. The fence between them and the road is practically chicken wire and in some spots, is not even stable enough to hold up. On the other side, the white South Africans are running rugby drills on beautiful, lush green grass with a fence taller than most made of steal. The use of fences is something that intrigued me about this part of the movie. Fences, as we all know, define barriers. I like that the fence of the black South Africans is insubstantial compared to that of the white South Africans because it demonstrates the context of the movie. The white South Africans have their guard up ever since Mandela leaves prison/becomes president and it’s funny that it is through rugby and letting down these barriers that the Springboks create their own community. Furthermore, the idea of bridging that gap between the two races is solidified and symbolized when Nelson Mandela drives through the street in his convoy out of prison, as he is truly the one who connections these two nationalities trapped in one nation.

The community development within the team is another aspect of the movie that was almost too heart warming to bear. Taking time out of their busy schedules, the Springboks spend an afternoon teaching rugby to a group of underprivileged black South African children. It is the first time we see the team interacting and having fun with one another. This relates to community development in the sense that one) Community Development is fun and two) Creating a community outside of the team is not only necessary but it develops both a sense of identity in the provider and receiver.  
Team Uniforms and structure such as team runs also manage to build a sense of community withn the team.

This is just a really quick point that I believe is essential to community development. The trip to Mandela’s jail cell is touching, yes, but is symbolizes the idea that in order to build relationships, improve an existing community, you have to  walk a mile in a man’s shoes. I think this is too often overlooked by government agencies and international aid systems as we forgot to put ourselves there and think about the consequences.
Now this had to be my favourite part of the whole movie! The police officers and the little black South African boy at the very end of the film is cute, funny, and defines community development as I see it. At first the boy is chastised for loitering around the police car to listen to the game, soon after he is allowed to sit on the sidewalk and listen quietly but by the end, when the gap between the two races is virtually non-existent and the little boy is hoisted up on their shoulders as South Africa wins the World Cup.

Despite the fact that I thought the movie was slow moving and cinematically could have been better quality, the message was inspirational. It shows that community development can a group of people, like the Springboks, or one man, like Nelson Mandela, and that play, games and sport can unite a nation.
Nelson Mandela: I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny
    Very nice article.
    I really liked and agreed with your quote, "The trip to Mandela’s jail cell is touching, yes, but is symbolizes the idea that in order to build relationships, improve an existing community, you have to walk a mile in a man’s shoes."
    I think in order to see where the person is coming from that is telling you what to do, you must see where he has been and what he has seen and done.
    You captured that feature of the movie as well as a different way to build community development very well with that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your posting! Thanks for your "geek out". When you talked about the fence in the fields I had an "aha" moment. I took that scene completely literally as a portrayal of the racial inequities during the aftermath of apartheid. I didn't even catch the symbolism in the fence! It makes me wonder if that was intentional or a lucky coincendence that helps get the message across.

    I also really enjoyed the scene with the young boy and the cops during the final game. To me this short scene totally wraps up Mandela's vision of closing the gap and uniting the people. In those moments they progressed from the White Afrikaaner and Young Black Boy to two people of the South African Nation, rejoicing in the victory celebration. This scene truly showed the power of Mandela's vision for change and how sport could be a catalyst to this process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenn, the reference to the many forms of imagery was a great way to connect the themes, clearly you have a great knack at recognizing cinematic symbolism. The contrasting playing fields available to the blacks and the whites was lost on me. I agree with your reference of the benefit of the rubgy team getting something from the time they spent teaching the kids about rugby. I would go so far as to suggest that the team got more out of their community development efforts than what they were able to give. In this day in age when time is always limited, it would seem that encouraging people that there is a great deal that they can gain from volunteering to community initiatives including personal growth and greater understanding and new perspectives that they could take back to their work and personal lives. Perhaps appealing to people to contribute to emphasize what they will get out of the experience would encourage greater volunteer participation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Geeky! Just kidding. The symbolism in your blog has taken it above and beyond the things that I thought of. I agree with the point you made while talking about the start of the movie when the rich, privaleged, white kids were playing with real rules and the black kids were playing on a rugged old field with ratty old fences. That part of the movie really kicked it off for me and really got me beginning to think about the movie in a differnet way.

    ReplyDelete